Functional Capacity Assessments
The FCE Process
A sequenced range of 20 – 60 tests are applied. These are:
- Questionnaires and Interview about the history of injury and recovery to date.
- Standard physical assessment
- Mobility and movement
- Strength – isometric and dynamic
- Material Handling – indications of physical work ability
- Fitness Testing – ability for physical work
The actual number of tests will vary according to injury and ability.
The equipment is mainly computer monitored. The advantages of this are…
Accuracy – the results are an accurate record of achievement
More tests can be done to provide a more accurate picture of physical and work ability
The manner of testing can be assessed as well as what was achieved
The relationship between pain and physical exertion is rated throughout the assessment
The FCE report is a concise document. The patient’s achievements and problems are documented and the assessor’s opinion is made on the data gathered.